How to earn HON credit

There are 5 ways you can earn Honors Credit

1. Stand-alone Honors courses

  • Honors General Education courses (3 of the 6 Gen Ed categories (pdf) have to be represented)
  • Honors courses in your major or minor
  • Honors electives
  • Honors core course: Citizen and Self (HON 251): All students starting fall 2012 and later are required to take it to graduate; for all other students it is optional, and fulfills the 3 hours of Honors Colloquia requirement (see below)
  • Honors Colloquia (HON 300/301): Honors College & Honors Program students are required to take 3 hours (can also be fulfilled with HON 251; see above), and can take up to 9 hours total. Any hours taken over the 3 hours will count towards Honors Upper Division (300 and above) electives (see Honors Colloquia offered in fall 2012)
  • Honors University Experience (HON 175)
  • Honors Internship (HON 275 & 375): 3h for 150 of internship; maximum of 6h for 300h of internship
  • HON 250 & 350 Practicum: Can be taken as 1-3h (flexibility)
  • Up to 6h of HON 303 Independent Research: Can also be taken as 1-3h (flexibility)
  • Honors Thesis/Creative Project (CE/T) (HON 402, 403 & 404): 1h of 402 (optional proposal writing course; counts towards HON hours, but not towards CE/T); 3h of 403 & 3h of 404 as independent study or up to 5h of course credit (capstone/senior seminar/other courses in your major/s) & 1h of 404, depending on the design of your project

2.  Augmentation of non-Honors upper-division (above 300-level) courses

Earn Honors credit by agreeing on a contract with your instructor to participate in an enriched Honors experience distinct from the course’s other assignments.

  • The contract is a simple e-signature forms that you can fill out & submit in less than 1 minute
  • Contracts are due by the 3rd week of classes in the fall & spring, and by the end of the first week in summer & winter terms

3. Honors Enriched Embedded Courses (HEECs)

A small Honors section of an upper-division (300 or above) that meets at the same time as the non-Honors section but has additional opportunities & responsibilities

4. Study Abroad Honors Credit

Earn Honors credit by studying abroad, in English or a foreign language. Here is how much Honors credit you can earn while studying abroad:

  • in an English-speaking institution, in an English-speaking country: 3h
  • in an English speaking institution, in a non-English speaking country: 3h + additional 3h (by petitioning the Honors Development Board through an essay)
  • in a non-English speaking institution, in a non-English speaking country: 6h

5. National Student Exchange (NSE) Honors Credit

Earn Honors credit by studying at one of the many colleges & universities participating in the NSE Honors Exchange.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *