“Read, read, read, read, read. Read everything.”

Read, read, read, read, read. Read everything. You can’t work unless you know the world, and outside of living in the world the best way to learn about the world is to read about it. (John Goodman)

I spent three days a week for ten years educating myself in the public library, finding mirrors for myself in hundreds of books. At the end of ten years, I was completely educated. I had read every goddam book in the library, and I’d written a thousand stories. (Ray Bradbury)

These two quotes express so well just how essential reading is to learning. They encapsulate the spirit of an excellent education, which is very active, highly experiential, and increasingly independent. Most learning and knowledge is incidental and tacit, i.e. it takes place outside of formal schooling. A key question has always been: How do we best relate what we do in class to what happens outside of class in the real world?

One main purpose of education is to prepare students as well as possible for the real world. And in the 21st century, the world will be increasingly global, complex, and challenging. Hence the question ‘what world are you living in?’ will only grow in importance.

Honors education understood and practiced as transdisciplinary and transformative global education focused on cultivating global competence offers an excellent preparation for the challenges and opportunities of living and working in the 21st century.

Erik Spiekermann echoes Dr. Seuss’s advice to children:

Read.
Travel.
Read.
Ask.
Read.
Learn.
Read.
Connect.
Read.

Pair with Adrienne Rich:

In paradise, every third thought is of Earth.

So, what world do you live in and what world do you read about?

This entry was posted in Academics, Advising, Honors Salon, Transdisciplinary, What We're Reading and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.