Photo by J S Robinson WKU AMR
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — WKU takes a break from the road on Saturday for a game against Brescia (Ky.) at E.A. Diddle Arena, before resuming a stretch of four of five away from home next week with the start of Sun Belt Conference play at ULM and Troy.
The Hilltoppers finished up their four games in the 2012 Cancun Challenge with a split of games against Iowa and DePaul in Mexico this week, picking up third place in the Riviera Division of the tournament. WKU went 3-1 overall in the challenge.
The Hilltoppers are looking to make it eight-straight home wins and 11 of 14 overall Saturday night against the Bearcats.
The game will be broadcast on the radio on the Hilltopper IMG Sports Network with Randy Lee and Hal Schmitt on the call. There is no television for Saturday’s game, and live stats, live video and live audio are available on WKUSports.com.
It is Faculty/Staff Night at E.A. Diddle Arena, where WKU faculty and staff can receive free admission with a valid WKU ID.
Tickets for the 2012-13 WKU men’s basketball season are available online at WKUSports.com or by visiting the WKU Ticket Office in E.A. Diddle Arena. Fans can also call the ticket office at 1-800-5-BIG RED or 745-5222 locally.
WKU (3-2) vs. Brescia (Ky.) (2-5)
November 24, 2012 // 7:30 PM (CT)
Bowling Green, Ky. // E.A. Diddle Arena (7,326)
• WKU leads the Sun Belt Conference in rebounding and three-point field goal defense and is second in scoring margin in 2012-13.
• Brandon Harris is the first WKU guard to have double-digit rebounds in back-to-back games since Derrick Gordon had 10 against FIU in the 2012 Sun Belt Conference Tournament and then 15 the next night against UALR.
• Jamal Crook has led WKU in scoring in four of the first five games of the season.
• WKU has won seven-straight home games after losing four-in-a-row before that.
• WKU’s current seven-game home winning streak matches its longest since winning seven-in-a-row at E.A. Diddle Arena from December 6, 2009 to January 16, 2010.
• The Hilltoppers’ last eight-game home winning streak spanned the end of the 2007-08 season, the entire 2008-09 season and the start of the 2009-10 campaign, when they won 15-straight at E.A. Diddle Arena.
• WKU is 9-2 under head coach Ray Harper when leading a game with 5:00 remaining.
• The Hilltoppers are 11-1 under head coach Ray Harper when outrebounding their opponent and 11-3 when attempting more free throws than their opponent.
• WKU is 11-5 under head coach Ray Harper when allowing fewer than 70 points in a game.
THE LAST TIME OUT
Less than 24 hours after a tough loss to Iowa, WKU bounced back to defeat DePaul Wednesday night, 70-61, to take third place in the Riviera Division in the 2012 Cancun Challenge. The Hilltoppers saw 30 of their points come from the reserves, and WKU forced 15 Blue Demon turnovers and held DePaul to just one three-point field goal. Jamal Crook led WKU with 16 points, and T.J. Price had 13, five rebounds and five assists. Kevin Kaspar added nine points, and Stephon Drane added a career high six points and three rebounds in 17 quality minutes off the bench. DePaul was led by Cleveland Melvin’s 22 points and 13 rebounds. WKU shot 41.8 percent from the field as a team in the game (28-for-67) and outrebounded DePaul, 42-39, after having a rebounding deficit for much of the game.
HILLTOPPER INDIVIDUAL TRENDS
• Teeng Akol is four blocked shots away from tying Lee Lampley (1997-2000) for 10th place on WKU’s career blocked shots list.
• Jamal Crook has had 17 double digit scoring games in 40 games since the start of his junior season after having just one in 63 games in his freshman and sophomore seasons.
• George Fant has had at least 10 points in eight of the last 11 games.
• T.J. Price has hit multiple three-pointers in 15 of the last 20 games.
• Caden Dickerson has made 55 of his last 66 free throw attempts (.833).
HILLTOPPER TEAM TRENDS
• WKU has won 10 of its last 13 games.
• WKU has won its first two home games of the season for the first time since 2008-09.
• In the last 21 games, WKU is holding opponents to 65.8 points per game and is 14-7 in that stretch.
• WKU has come back to win seven of the last 11 times it has trailed at halftime, compared to losing 12-straight in that situation before that.
• WKU has committed 14 or fewer turnovers in 15 of the last 23 games.
• WKU has faced a double-digit deficit at one point in 30 of its last 37 losses dating back to the start of the 2010-11 season.
• In 72 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, WKU has trailed at halftime 42 times (11-31 in those games).
• The Hilltoppers have advanced to the semifinals of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament eight-straight times and in 21 instances in 30 years as a member of the league dating to 1983.
• WKU has won at least one game in each of its last three NCAA Tournament appearances (2008, 2009, 2012).
• Since 1993 WKU has seven NCAA Tournament wins to its credit, and the rest of the Sun Belt Conference is a combined 0-14.
(Source: WKU Athletics, Nov 23, 2012)