Advising approaches & how to work with high-achieving students (NACADA, take 1)

So I made it to six sessions on the first day of the NACADA conference in Nashville, focusing on high-achieving students (which includes honors students) and on different approaches to advising (humanistic vs. mechanistic; appreciative vs. prescriptive; intrusive advising).

Of course I lacked the time and a consistent Internet connection to write really good posts – for now, at least.

Instead, I put my notes in a newly created mind map on global education called Cutting Edge Global Education (CEGE), which permanently lives here. At least it contains the abstracts and my more or less comprehensive notes – it’s a start.

As an overview, here are the six sessions I attended, in no particular order, with my tag lines & observations:

• You can do it! Applying hope theory to advising high-achieving students, Amanda Neuber – based on positive psychology; more hopeful students tend to be higher achieving students (and vice-versa); good suggestion for how to cultivate students’ hopefulness
  • The six phases of appreciative advising, Jennifer Joslin – advising as the cultivation of meaningful relationships that empower students to realize their potential; very convincing
  • Intrusive advising: How to be intrusive without intruding, Jenny Cannon – on the challenge of how best to learn the most important things about our students
  • Flying without a net: Helping high-achieving students work through anxieties & unproductive behaviors, Meaghan Stein – based on the book, Flying without a net; no easy answers here
  • High-achieving students’ use of mindmap tools to develop plans for undergraduate education involvement, Melissa Johnson – very useful tool to visualize their environment & goals
  • Toward a new curriculum of advisor education, Leigh Shaffer & Peter Hagen – advising as a dialectical relationship between advisor and advisee, in which they co-create their identities
This entry was posted in Advising, Conferences, Transdisciplinary and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Advising approaches & how to work with high-achieving students (NACADA, take 1)

1. Elizabeth says:

Exciting stuff. Looking forward to hear more about it! I know our students will really benefit from this.